Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Mistreatment at work... what should I do?

I was hired (legally) abroad, six months ago, to work for this organization, as a highly qualified person. Before coming, my supervisor asked if I was coming alone, "we have nothing against families, you know, but we want full commitment". The big boss told me: "X will remain the brain of the programme, not because you do not have brain, but, well, you know what I mean". Anyways, I decided to come. The first two months I had to deal with comments about how little professional are people from where I come from. I have been called "animal" and "liar". I have been attacked because of my faith. And I have a co-worker that keeps doing sexists jokes, and he gets paid more for the same salary (I am a woman). My supervisor makes comments about how I should carry my personal life (including my sexual one, which I never discuss!).


Is this the normal way to treat people in the American workplace? Is there something I can do, before just quitting and going back to my place where I am respected?|||No that's not normally how people are treated in the work place. That is sexual harassment. Go talk to a lawyer if you would like to pursue this further.|||No that is not normal at all. At my job we use a chain of command and I have been in your shoes before. You need to find out who it is you report this kind of abuse to. they will be investigated and eventually fired.

No comments:

Post a Comment