Saturday, November 19, 2011

Does sexism always lead to mistreatment of the opposite sex?

I've known lots of sexist men and women that still treat members of the opposite gender with kindness and respect. Is it a lack of kindness that really causes the mistreatment?|||No.





Sometimes sexism leads to favoritism of the same sex, which does not always imply mistreatment of the opposite. Sexism may also exist in thought, but not be expressed in behavior, which is what you identified in your question.|||Yeah most of my family are like that, like my grandpa will buy some stuff from a black dude and be nice, then as soon as we're driving away he's like someone should cut the tail off that monkey. So being sexist doesn't always mean you're going to mistreat the other sex.|||Sexism and racism are the result of being raised in ignorance, and with preconceived notions, of the of the opposite sex or of other races or cultures.


A person can be kind to a dog one day, and kick it in anger the next without ever really caring about it one way or the other.


People who are sexists or racists remind me of this type of person. Someone who will say something and hurt someone without ever knowing or caring that they have done so because they are too ignorant of their own behavior.|||Yes, of course it does. It leads to systemic discrimination. You can't treat an entire group of people with genuine kindness and respect if you percieve them as less worthy. Instead, members of that group are patronised. This reminds me of how '*****' folk were sometimes treated: as though they were intellectually inferior, simple-minded, child-like, slow-witted, lazy...





but great dancers (especially tap)!|||It's still a problem if we have a bunch of sexist or racist people running around acting nice but secretly hating other people.|||When I was real young I was a sexist.


I believe it was because of my Grandmother ,my mother and other women in my life at that time.


I actually believe there was no such thing as a stupid woman.


I thought women went along with their husbands because that's what they were obligated to do.(You know,part of the 'contract'.!)


I remember I was sitting ,watching TV about some civil rights march and the reporter was interviewing this Klan woman.She didn't appear to have any teeth and she was dressed in her hood and robe and she was telling how much she hated me and anyone that looked as I do(and I swear I never met the woman before!)


And she was so 'into' her hate that I came to the realization this woman was speaking from her own heart.A hateful heart.


That day I learned that women are capable of hate and stupidity and all the other things that I thought were exclusively a man's domain.


It was quite a lesson to learn at nine or ten.


My form of sexism was to believe women were more smarter than men.|||Yes someone can be what is generally thought of as sexist with out hurting someone with it. People who hurt others actually have a problem with kindness not sexism or racism. In fact many of those in the underground railroad of old were very racist they did not think black equal or such just human so they thought owning a human was wrong. They most defiantely did not see them on the same level as whites. The correlation is simple. Just because someone sees someone as a lessor person that does not mean that they can not help them.





Here is the other argument to look at now. Just looking at someone and thinking that they are a lessor person just for being a man or a women hurts them and all those who are like them. The sex of an individual should have no determination in their value as an individual.





I would say this all individuals have the same intrinsic value but they do not all have the same societal value. someone who steals or rapes is not as valuable for society as someone who works, pays taxes and raises a family. someone should not be judged by their sex or color but by who they are as an individual.|||The key world being ALWAYS. Nope, it does not always lead to mistreatment.|||You can treat people nice but not with sincerity.





When there is true kindness, there is respect - then there isn't a problem. So kindness needs to be real, not forced.





But I won't hold my breath.|||it depends on your definition of mistreatment, if you mean actually being *mean* or violent toward someone, no, it doesn't always lead to *outright* mistreatment. such as when women were thought of as too weak %26amp; fragile and needed to be taken care of %26amp; protected (because they can't manage on their own). they weren't usually directly mistreated, but such excuses were given to keep women from voting %26amp; such.





it's downright hating the opposite sex or being angry at them that causes someone to truly mistreat others.

No comments:

Post a Comment