Saturday, November 19, 2011

What do you do about mistreatment in a hospital?

I was in a hospital's waiting area because my parent was receiving treatment. I overheard an RN calling my parent a name and laughing at my parent's situation. My parent's situation isn't anything close to being a laughing matter and that RN shouldn't be calling my parent or any other patient names. What can I do about this?|||If you get no satisfaction after reporting this to the hospital administrator, find out if the hospital is accredited by the JCAH, and if so, file a complaint: http://www.jointcommission.org/GeneralPu鈥?/a>





All complaints submitted to the JCAH are investigated, including those regarding rude or inappropriate staff behavior.





I agree with the previous poster that sometimes, our senses of humor may be viewed as dark by people who work outside of the industry (it really is a coping mechanism), however hospital personnel have a duty to administer appropriate and compassionate care. Calling a patient a rude name or making fun of them or their condition in their presence or within earshot of anyone else is not acceptable.





http://www.hcqualitycommission.gov/final鈥?/a>|||Contact the hospital's administrators. Many hospitals will also have a patient advocacy program you can contact.|||Calling a patient a name and laughing about it isn't mistreatment unless it is said to the person..





Professionals do it all the time...it's how we cope...I laugh about my clients all the time behind their back...it doesn't mean I don't defend them aggressively|||How do I file a complaint about a patient's kid who was eavesdropping on my conversations with another healthcare professional.





I agree with Cliff. Get over it

No comments:

Post a Comment